Friday, August 18, 2006

Piqué Stitch

I found this stitch pattern in a vintage knitting book in a used book store. It's a simple combination of knit and purl stitches. The knitting instructions given had you purl everything except the texture knit stitches. On the loom, I think it's easier to knit everything and purl the texture, and make the 'wrong' side the 'right' side!



I put stitch markers of one color on pegs 5, 15, 25, etc. and stitch markers of another color on pegs 10, 20, 30, etc. I e-wrapped all pegs except those with the first color stitch marker; those got purled. After eight rows, I switched and only purled those pegs with the second color stitch marker. You can make the textured bars be closer or further apart by adjusting which pegs get stitch markers, and longer or shorter by adjusting the number of rows. For variety, you can knit a row or two with purl stitches on all marked pegs, or have a row or two in between switch-offs where you don't purl any pegs. The above sample is part of an afghan strip, which I think is a good application for this stitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home