Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Cable Cast On

Edited 2/3/07: I called this the crochet cast on, but it's really the cable cast on. The crochet cast on is very similar, but with that, the loops are placed on the pegs instead of around the pegs. I'll illustrate the crochet cast on in a different post. Sorry about the confusion!

I've been asked about the crochet cable cast on method, so thought I'd post pictures on how to do it. This cast on makes the starting end of the piece look very similar to the flat bound off end of the piece.

I'm right handed, so it's easiest for me to crochet from right to left, so the loom gets wrapped from right to left, or in a clockwise direction.

Step 1: Make a slip knot in your yarn, and place it between two pegs.


Step 2: Put the crochet hook through the loop in the slip knot.


Step 3: Let the working yarn wrap around a peg, and catch the yarn with the crochet hook.


Step 4: Pull the working yarn through the loop on the crochet hook.


Step 5: Let the working yarn wrap around the next peg, and catch the yarn with the crochet hook.


Step 6: Pull the working yarn through the loop on the crochet hook, and continue with each peg.


At the end, put the loop that is on the crochet hook onto the last peg.


If knitting in the round, the last loop should go onto peg 1, which will already have a loop on it. Knit off peg 1 as the last step of the cast-on. Then wrap peg 1 for the first stitch in row 1.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, thanks for your blog! I love using my nifty knitters.

12/19/2008 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home