Monday, February 04, 2008

Visiting Markman Farm

When I don't post, it's not because I haven't been doing anything, it's because I get way too busy! So I have some catching up to do...

My holiday travels took me to Markman Farm, in the out of the way community of Standish CA. So rural that, according to Lynn Markman, if you hit an animal in the street, you reimburse the owner for the animal and pay for your own car repairs!


Lynn and I spent a day loom knitting and sharing stories and techniques while our girls played with the sheep, llamas, chickens, dogs, cats and probably some other animals I missed. Lynn has a cozy business office in her farmhouse where she ships out the hand made looms with packets of patterns, and a shop right next door filled with wonderful gift items made by local artisans from scented soaps to cards to knit items and yarn made from her sheep. Everyone at her house was so friendly and welcoming that we could easily have moved in and stayed for a while.

Lynn was experimenting with making dish clothes on fine gauge looms using crochet thread. She was using the Chunky Braid Purl stitch pattern, which she generously agreed to allow me to share with you. The resulting knit fabric has a 3-D texture; the e-wrapped pegs make a raised braid pattern on one side, and the reverse side looks like stockinette stitch.



Cast on to an odd number of pegs.
Row 1: E-wrap and knit off the first peg. Purl the next peg and e-wrap the peg after that. Do not knit off the e-wrapped peg. Continue purling and e-wrapping (no KO) to the end of the row.
Row 2: Repeat row 1. (Purled pegs get purled, e-wrapped pegs get wrapped again.)
Row 3: Repeat row 1, except e-wrapped pegs get knit off as 3-over-1.
Repeat rows 1-3.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sorka said...

Isn't Lynn fun to visit with!! I haven't made it to her farm she came down to Lake Tahoe to visit us! It's fun to see you two together!
Denise

2/04/2008 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lucky you are to be able to visit all those talented people. Also for them to meet you. Maybe sometime you will come to Michigan. I can't show you any great talents in Looming. I do live about a mile from Lake Huron in some beautiful country and love company and talking looming.
Karol Beaufore

2/20/2008 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home