Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Simple Afghan Pattern

I've been asked so many times if the looms can be used to make an afghan, and if there's an easy pattern for one. I made this afghan as one of my first projects using the round Knifty Knitter looms. It is well-used and well-loved, but I'll show it to you anyway.



For this afghan, I used 8 skeins of Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick yarn in color Fisherman. It's about 44" wide and about 60" long. Here is what I did:

All knit stitches are e-wrapped for the twisted stockinette stitch.

Make two panels.

Cast on with the e-wrap method to 41 pegs of the round yellow KK loom.
Row 1: Knit pegs 40 - 1.
Row 2: Knit pegs 2 - 41.
Repeat rows 1 - 2 until 190 rows are completed.
Bind off with the flat method.

Sew the two panels together down the center. Weave in tails.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If I were to make the afghan again, I would put a garter edging all around it to make it more finished looking, and to prevent the curled edges. The garter sides would have a slipped stitch edge for a pretty braid-look finish. The center seam side would have a selvedge edge. Here is what I would do:

All knit stitches are e-wrapped for a twisted stockinette stitch.

Panel 1 (garter edge is pegs 1 - 5; selvedge edge is at peg 41):
Cast on with the cable method to 41 pegs of the round yellow KK loom.
Row 1: Knit pegs 41 - 1.
Row 2: Purl pegs 2 - 40, knit peg 41
Rows 3 - 6: Repeat rows 1 - 2 twice.
Row 7: Knit pegs 41 - 1
Row 8: Purl pegs 2 - 5, knit pegs 6 - 41 (Note: put markers on pegs 2 - 5 as a reminder to purl them.)
Repeat rows 7 - 8 88 times
Repeat rows 1 - 6.
Bind off with the flat method.

Panel 2 (garter edge is pegs 37-41; selvedge edge is at peg 1):
Cast on with the cable method to 41 pegs of the round yellow KK loom.
Row 1: Knit pegs 40 - 1.
Row 2: Purl pegs 2 - 40, knit peg 41
Rows 3 - 6: Repeat rows 1 - 2 twice.
Row 7: Knit pegs 40 - 1
Row 8: Knit pegs 2 - 36, purl pegs 37 - 40, knit peg 41. (Note: put markers on pegs 37 - 40 as a reminder to purl them.)
Repeat rows 7 - 8 88 times
Repeat rows 1 - 6.
Bind off with the flat method.

Sew the two panels together in the center. Weave in tails.

(Note: These instructions are what I would do if I were to make the afghan again. I haven't test knit these instructions. If you notice an error, please let me know!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette Nyberg said...

Oooh- This looks great! I can't wait to try your modified version. If I ever finish I will send you a pic! Thanks for a great site.

2/14/2008 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home